Immigration Lawyer Robert West

3301 Spring Mountain Rd
Unit 3
Las Vegas, NV 89102

Call For More Information

(702) 319-5459

Immigration Lawyer Robert West

Withholding of removal withholds removal or deportation proceedings for a foreigner who is in the United States. It may be granted to an individual who would have qualified for asylum-based relief had they not missed the deadline to apply. The downside of being granted withholding of removal or deportation is that it only allows for a foreigner to obtain, renew, and pay for a work permit each year. It also bars the foreigner from leaving the country at any time; if the foreigner were to leave the country, they would be unable to re-enter.

When Is Adjustment To The Status Of A Permanent Resident A Viable Option?

There are a few scenarios that allow for adjustment to the status of a permanent resident, the most common of which is when a foreigner legally entered the United States with a work or tourist visa and married an American citizen while in the United States. Under such circumstances, the individual could request an adjustment of status. This would require a marriage interview, after which conditional or permanent residency would be granted. A conditional resident card would be granted if the person had been married fewer than two years when approved, and a permanent resident card would be granted if the person had been married for two years or more when approved.

If the same set of circumstances occurred but the individual never filed the papers for adjustment of status and was arrested for a minor offense, then removal proceedings might be initiated. However, the individual would still be allowed to apply for an adjustment of status. Eventually, the jurisdiction would be split, so the US citizen would file alien relative petition for their relative in removal proceedings. The process initiated by the US citizen would occur concurrently with the removal proceedings. Ultimately, the US government and the judge assigned to the case would determine whether the case would be processed through the court in the US, or whether the removal proceedings would be terminated and the case would be processed with USCIS.

What Is Suspension Of Deportation?

Suspension of deportation is an old remedy that comes prior to the rules implemented on October 30, 1996. It is the predecessor to the cancellation of removal, but it was much easier to get approved. In essence, suspension is when a foreigner gets thrown in deportation proceedings as opposed to removal proceedings. The foreigner would be issued an order to show cause, which is the charging document in immigration court. The foreigner would have to show that they had been in the United States for at least seven years and demonstrated good moral character during that time. In addition, they would have to show they have personally suffered extreme hardship. In contrast, the new standard for cancellation of removal is extreme and unusual hardship to a qualifying relative. Most people will not qualify for suspension of deportation unless they were issued an old order to show cause and put in deportation proceedings. After October 30, 1996, everyone has been placed into removal proceedings and deemed ineligible for suspension of deportation.

What Are Waivers Of Deportability Or Inadmissibility?

Waivers of deportability or removability are found in Section 237 of the Immigration Act, and waivers for inadmissibility are found in Section 212 of the Immigration Act. Inadmissibility charges are more common than deportability charges, but a crime can be both deportable and inadmissible at the same time. The most common waiver is for crimes which are inadmissible under Section 212H of the Immigration Act. If a crime is removable but not inadmissible, then a waiver may not be necessary. If the government decides not to remove a foreigner who is admissible, then the foreigner’s status can be fixed.

When Are Legalization And Registry Possible?

Most people who qualify for registry have already gone through the process of legalization. Generally, an individual must have come into the United States before January 1, 1972 and show that they have not left since. If an individual meets those requirements and is admissible, then they can obtain a green card and apply by themselves.

For more information on Withholding Of Removal From The US, an initial consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (702) 319-5459 today.

Read more about Deportation

Robert West, Esq.

Call Now For More Information
(702) 319-5459

Translate »